Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Post #10 - "Mexican Wine"

This is the first track off Fountains of Wayne's album Welcome Interstate Managers, the same album which "Stacy's Mom" came off of (this track is better though, and nobody knows about it!).


The song itself sounds like Weezer could have made it, although I hate Weezer (in retrospect, that Beverly Hills song sucked hairy testicles). I first listened to this song back in 2003 when I listened to a sample of the CD and what really attracted me to this song was the beginning. I really like the lyrics and instrumentation in the intro:

"He was killed by a cellular phone explosion/They scattered his ashes across the ocean/The water was used to make baby lotion/The wheels of promotion were set into motion."

"But the sun still shines in the summer time/I'll be yours if you'll be mine/I tried to change but I changed my mind/Think I'll have another glass of Mexican wine."

The YouTube video for "Mexican Wine" is apparently the official music video, featuring two girls lip-syncing the song in the beginning. The single was pulled due to the controversial lyrics (I guess when they lip-synced the line "Think I'll have another glass of Mexican wine"), which is really silly considering the number of teenage girls who drink themselves to death each year. Here's to you drunkards! Really though, stop drinking.

No comments: