Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Post #17 - "Lost Cause"

Just heard this song by Beck from the Scrubs episode "My New Game" and I'm in love with this song because of how it sounds. It's a sad song, but if it sounds good, that shouldn't stop someone from listening to it just because it'll make them feel down.

"Lost Cause" is from Beck's 2002 album Sea Change, which marked a departure from his style in favor of a folk rock sound (I'm taking this from Wikipedia, though this will be my first Beck album to listen to when I get the chance). The album's theme centers around that of deteriorating relationships, and that is visible in the song's lyrics (coming up soon). Rolling Stone magazine gave Sea Change a five star rating and placed it number 440 on its list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

The song itself is sad, accompanied by an finger-picked guitar, so acoustic indie girls, eat your hearts out of this one. It obviously fits in with the album's theme, in this song he admits that he is tired of a relationship that is headed south. I like the entire song, most of all its verse lyrics (here's the first):

"Your sorry eyes, they cut through bone/They make it hard to leave you alone/Leave you here wearing your wounds/Waving your guns at somebody new."

The music video off YouTube I've included is, well, entirely in slow-motion, with Beck's head attached to some type of humanoid torso and sparks and stuff. Well, hope you enjoy this song as much as I did (the video, meh).

No comments: