Monday, October 8, 2007

Post #7 - "The Soft Parade"

This song comes the Doors' fourth album The Soft Parade, in my opinion their worst album. I really should listen to it through again though, that's how I discovered "The Soft Parade." However, it's not the only track I liked off the album, the other two being "Tell All the People" and "Touch Me." I guess with another listen I'll find some more tracks I like.

Anywho, time for the song itself. This track is the essence of what the Doors are. It combines every element of what makes the Doors great, from soft melodies to driving rock. Speaking candidly, it is basically an orgy of the Doors' styles. Listen for the harpsichord accompanied part following the "Petition the Lord with Prayer" monologue, it's my favorite part of the song.

"Can you give me sanctuary?/I must find a place to hide/A place for me to hide."

"Can you find me soft asylum?/I can't make it anymore/The Man is at the door."

The video I found off YouTube is basically just clips of Jim Morrison throughout his time with the Doors. Too bad he died when he did, his writing was beautiful. Anyway, enjoy "The Soft Parade." Did I mention it was nearly nine minutes long? Sorry.

No comments: