Saturday, October 13, 2007

Post #13 - "Bad Day"

I admit, the only R.E.M. songs I've heard of are "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" and this one, but they are one of the many artists on my to-listen list. If all R.E.M. songs are as good as this, then I think I've been living in a hole for most of the 90s (can you blame me though? I was only 5 when "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" charted) and I need to run out to buy some.

I heard the song back in 2003, when it was included on their second compilation In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003. Too bad the compilation didn't receive rave reviews (think I might pick it up sometime as a starting point).

Anywho, I really liked the lyrics in this song (I'm pretty sure some of the hardcore R.E.M. fans are hunting me down as I type this), particularly in the bridge leading up to the chorus, although the two lines following the first two differ as the song progresses:

"Broadcast me a joyful noise unto the times, lord,/Count your blessings./We're sick of being jerked around./We all fall down."

As for the video, I've used R.E.M.'s YouTube (at least I think it's their YouTube site, it looks official enough) to locate the music video for the single (and they allow embedding!). I really liked the music video, with the band acting as newscasters and a whole bunch of graphical eccentricities that would seldom be found anywhere else. Anywho, hope you enjoy!

No comments: