Monday, October 15, 2007

Post #15 - "The Sound of Settling"

Aside from the Shins, Death Cab for Cutie is my other favorite indie band. There's something about their music that I like, I can't put my finger on it though. It's one of the most melodic music you'll ever hear from a band today, and they rarely miss the target when it comes to musical satisfaction.

"The Sound of Settling" is off the album Transatlanticism, which has sold approximately a quarter of a million copies. The album as a whole is easy for me to listen to in one sitting, so if you can survive 30 minutes driving in a car listening to songs on the radio concerning "supermanning that ho," then I'm sure you'll survive this, and come out all the better for it. The album art is interesting too, with a bird seemingly wrapped in yard (someone call PETA!).

The song itself is cheery and upbeat, it's hard to feel down while listening to it. The lyrics are great (although the chorus does get repetitive if you listen to it on repeat) and I really like these lines:

"I've got a hunger/Twisting my stomach into knots."

"Our youth is fleeting/Old age is just around the bend/And I can't wait to go gray."

All in all, a great introductory song to the great band that is Death Cab for Cutie. The video off YouTube I've included is the official music video that has the band and some other people singing the song in a trippy frame with a frame effect. Enjoy!

No comments: