Sunday, October 7, 2007

Post #2 - "My Generation"

For the song I am posting now, it's off of their debut album known in the U.S. as The Who Sings My Generation, known in the U.K. as simply My Generation. This ranks at #236 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, whereas the song itself places #11 on the same magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

This is a great song for just about anytime you're feeling contempt for authority. Despite it being some four decades old, it still has a lot to say about rebellious youth and all that that implies. The sound of the song is just plain ferocious, featuring all the members of the band, from the energetic drumming and guitar playing to the stuttering vocals and bass solos.

I found a video of the song being performed at the Monterey Pop Festival via YouTube, so that you don't have to find it yourself. Hope you enjoy "My Generation" and the pyrotechnics, Keith Moon-drumming, Roger Daltrey-stuttering and Pete Townshend-guitar-smashing!


No comments: