Monday, October 8, 2007

Post #4 - "Patterns"

This song is from one of my favorite artists, if not my favorite, Simon & Garfunkel. While their music is folk-based and may sound like what your parents (or grandparents) listen to, it really speaks for itself when you hear the harmonies of their voices, coupled with Paul Simon's masterful guitar playing.

"Patterns" is off of their third album Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, which ranks at #201 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Also contained on this album are "Scarborough Fair/Canticle" and "A Poem on the Underground Wall", songs that will be featured in the not too distant future.

Things really do seem to reappear in your life, be it people or events, and "Patterns" makes truth of this:

"Impaled on my wall/My eyes can dimly see/The pattern of my life/And the puzzle that is me"

"From the moment of my birth/To the instant of my death/There are patterns I must follow/Just as I must breathe each breath."

The video of the song is off of YouTube, featuring the duo at the Kraft Music Hall in 1968. Hope you enjoy!

No comments: